Sunday, July 05, 2020

14th Sunday in Ordinary Time 2020

Jesus exclaimed, ‘I bless you, Father, Lord of heaven and of earth, for hiding these things from the learned and the clever and revealing them to mere children. (Mt. 11:25, Jerusalem Bible)

If we read a little before this verse, we would realise that Jesus was lamenting at the towns that had refused to listen to the Good News. It sounds strange, does it not that Jesus praises His Father after experiencing the stubbornness of those towns! When we consider that Jesus tells us in a later chapter in St. Matthew’s Gospel that unless we become like little children, we cannot inherit the kingdom of heaven (see Mt. 18:3), we may be able to see a little light. Jesus reminds us today that it is not learned and clever adults, with all our experience in life that will accept the simple mystery of the kingdom of heaven.

During these difficult months when we are not able to do things we used to, we begin to question God about our discomforts. We would like answers but cannot seem to find any. We murmur against rules about taking risks and such. I should know. I have done my share of complaining to God. If only I could remember that the learned and clever in this world won’t be able to understand what God is trying to communicate to us these days. Whatever God gives is a blessing. Even if it means that we cannot receive holy communion! 

I still remember that growing up, I did not have as many toys as many children do these days. We had a set of plastic soldiers and animals. My younger brother and I would use these animals and soldiers to make up stories and have adventures. A tiger would be a hero one day and a villain the next. We accepted what we had and made use of the few toys we had. I don’t remember complaining to my father for our lack of toys. On the other hand, I do remember getting many earfuls when we did not put back our toys after playing them.

Can we not see what our situation here as blessings? I may need to celebrate the sacrament of reconciliation, but do I see it as a right that God has to give me, or a blessing that God gives at His own time. While I yearn to receive the grace that comes from the sacrament, can I not see the present situation as a blessing that we can begin to treasure the sacrament more?

Jesus tells us to shoulder his yoke for it is easy and light in burden. I believe because we do not see this time as a blessing, we tend to shoulder our own yokes. We have yokes of desire and wants, Jesus’s yoke is one where we will find rest for our souls. Jesus tells us to shoulder his yoke and learn from Him. Many times we shoulder yokes but forget the second part: learn from Him. Like Jesus’s not being able to convince the towns of Chorazin and Bethsaida to accept the Good News, things may not go the way we wish despite our best efforts. We still would bless and praise God because what happens is also a blessing and gift from Him. The registration system for Mass will not satisfy many who want to come to Mass every Sunday. Yet, if they follow what Jesus does today, they should look at everything as God’s blessings and give thanks to God.



No comments: